For some reason I was sent to stay with friends of my parents who lived in town, very close to an area where there were several large families who were inclined to be rough and tough. Because I came to school on the bus I was considered to be a 'sissy', - and perhaps I was. Country living is different from town living, especially in those days.
I remember being afraid to go to school, and getting very little sympathy outside of being able to stick up for yourself. There was an older boy named Craig Coldren who lived right across the street from the people I was staying with, and I latched on to him every morning. Needs must (when the devil drives). I was grateful he was there, but I never saw him again after he left school and I think he was killed during the war.
I eventually gained confidence and became friends with the other boys. Eventually I grew into a good sized lad, and I can remember when I stepped in to stop some cases of bullying, mostly by talking.
I should mention the fact that in those days any one caught fighting on the school grounds ended up with five of the best on each hand. It also might be worth mentioning that the instrument of application was about thirty inches long by two inches wide by one quarter inch thick!!!

I have 'borrowed' this picture from the web, - it was a ferocious instrument, but a deterrent, - and it caused boys to duck behind the stone walls that fronted the school yard when there was any fighting going on....
I came across an old newspaper dated in the early forties, and it had a story in it about justice at that time. Four young lads who had badly abused a girl in the same age bracket were convicted and sentenced to three years with alternate lash and paddle during the time of their sentence.
I knew one of these fellows in later years and believe me, he never broke any laws during the rest of his life.
A hard way to teach the effects of lawlessness, but we were never then in the mess we are now, and I lay blame on the liberalness of the courts in their treatment of criminals....

1 comment:
Not sure that yesterday's solutions would work for today's problems. Corporal punishment probably caused as many sick minds as it cured. But I see the motive behind the wish for something more effective and am sympathetic when it comes to misguided liberalism - with a small l!
Post a Comment